- KML/KMZ files can be opened in Google Earth, and many smartphone apps.
- GPX files can be opened by most GPS software apps when KMZ cannot. Note, GPX files do not contain custom colours and icons that we use on our maps; all tracks and icons will appear the same colours and styles. We recommend using KMZ instead when possible.
- GPX-Garmin are GPX files that we have optimized for older Garmin units that only display tracks that contain 500 points or less (such as Garmin eTrex units).
Visit our GPS & Navigation page for instructions of how to use your smartphone as a GPS device (even when outside of data coverage) or how to import data to your Garmin unit.
About the Journey:
This 2-day bicycle loop route travels from Nelson to the historic town of Kaslo, then to New Denver on a 114 km journey. The route uses an optional trail east of New Denver - featuring a cable car crossing. After spending the night in New Denver, return south to Nelson on the Slocan Valley Rail Trail - a 107 km journey.
- Scenery along Kootenay Lake
- Ainsworth Hot Springs
- Historic Kaslo
- Views of Kokanee Glacier Provincial Park
- Optional trail section east of New Denver with a cable-car crossing
- South Slocan Rail Trail
Parking can be found at various places all over Nelson. The lakeside park or Superstore parking lot may be the most conveniently located, with provisions and washrooms.
Provisions can be bought in Nelson, Kaslo, New Denver and Slocan - but you may wish to stock up for the ride in Nelson.
For camping, we recommend:
- Rosebery Provincial Park (located just north of New Denver)
- Silverton Community Campground (located in Silverton, just south of New Denver)