- KML/KMZ files can be opened in Google Earth, and many smartphone apps.
- GPX files can be opened by most GPS software apps when KMZ cannot. Note, GPX files do not contain custom colours and icons that we use on our maps; all tracks and icons will appear the same colours and styles. We recommend using KMZ instead when possible.
- GPX-Garmin are GPX files that we have optimized for older Garmin units that only display tracks that contain 500 points or less (such as Garmin eTrex units).
Visit our GPS & Navigation page for instructions of how to use your smartphone as a GPS device (even when outside of data coverage) or how to import data to your Garmin unit.
About the Journey:
This 12.3 loop is one of the few "100% Trans Canada Trail" routes in existence! The loop takes in shaded forest trails along Mark Creek, and returns to downtown Kimberley on the Northstar Rail Trail. Suitable for hiking and cycling.
The Lions Way trail, which follows Mark Creek, runs downhill from north to south; travelling south is much easier. The Northstar, being a rail trail, is quite flat and easy to ride in either direction. Therefore, we suggest using this route in a counter-clockwise fashion. Cyclists should be aware of some blind corners and keep speed reasonable along Lions Way as this is a popular dog-walking route.
- Walking time roughly 2.5 - 3 hours. Dog-friendly.
- Jogging (~1 hour) is highly recommended as there are few street crossings. Some tripping hazards possible along the wooded segment.
- Cycling time roughly 45 minutes.
- Horses are not permitted.
- Skateboarding and rollerblading are not recommended on the Lions Way portion.
- No staircases or accessibility issues, though the trail surface may be challenging for wheelchairs. There are some steep declines along Mark Creek to consider.
- Cool, shaded wooded trails with peekaboo views of Mark Creek
- Easy to navigate
- Flat return on the Northstar - with excellent high level views over Marysville
- Plenty of staging areas (we recommend the civic arena at the north end but many exist elsewhere along the route)
Plenty of parking available at the civic arena off Archibald Street. There are places to park elsewhere along the route, but this staging area provides the best starting/finishing point for the ride.